Your Store

Advanced Search


    Travelling is an exciting way to meet people and learn about different cultures. But you have to be careful. Travelling can expose you to disease and poor sanitary conditions. In this document, you will find practical information for safe and healthy travel. In a foreign country, just like at home, a little prevention goes a long way.
    • In short

      • Region
      • Capital
      • Population
      • Currency
        Australian dollar (AUD)
      • Languages
        English, local languages
    • Flag

      Flag of Australia
    Alternate Text

    Recommended Immunization

    In this section, you will find the list of the immunizations and screenings recommended for Canadians travelling to the above destination (Australia). Some of them may also be mandatory.

    Diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles
    These vaccines are part of every Canadian's standard immunization regimen. Make sure that you are vaccinated and have received the booster shots when required.
    Japanese encephalitis
    Vaccinations is recommended for travellers staying more than a month in the islands of the Torres Strait or in the Cape York Peninsula. To consider whether any visits outside urban areas are planned or if an outbreak is underway in the region, even if the stay is less than a month.
    Yellow fever
    A certificate is mandatory for all travellers 1 year and older having stayed overnight or longer through an area with risk of transmission (including only Misiones in Argentina, and excluding Galapagos Islands in Ecuador) within 6 days of arrival in this country. Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia and Tanzania are considered at risk.
    Hepatitis B
    Low prevalence of carriers. Vaccination is recommended travellers staying in the country a few months or more, healthcare professionals or people receiving health care, those in close contact with local residents, parents adopting a child and those engaging in sexual relations with the country's inhabitants.
    Any person over the age of 15 years requesting permanent resident status must be tested. A residency permit will only be granted to HIV-positives meeting some criteria.

    During your stay

    Once there, you should still be cautious as you could be exposed to other diseases. The presence of diseases that could pose a risk to your health has been reported in the country. The risk is related to the activities you choose to take part in as well as the areas you visit.

    Dengue fever
    Anti-mosquito precautions are essential everywhere in the country.
    Lyme disease
    travellers who visit infected rural areas, particularly campers and backcountry enthusiasts are more at risk. These travellers should properly protect themselves from insect bites.
    Vaccination is recommended only for certain groups of travellers such as veterinarians, animal attendants, spelunkers or other at-risk groups and adventure travellers.

    The above vaccinations apply to all travellers. For a personalized protection program adapted to your travelling and health needs, visit a travel medicine clinic. Plan ahead: If you need several vaccines, you may need several weeks to complete the immunization schedule.

    Prior to your departure, you may want to consider registering for the Canadians Abroad Service. Registering allows the service to contact and assist you if there is an emergency while you are abroad. Visit the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website for more information about this service and how to register.

    If you have purchased travel insurance, your policy will likely include a 24/7 emergency assistance service to help you locate care and coordinate payment. Be sure to have their phone number with you at all times.

    The Canadian Government also has several offices abroad that can provide you with numerous services when in a medical emergency. These services include, but are not limited to:

    • Supplying names of local doctors and health facilities
    • Visiting you in the hospital and providing basic translation services
    • Arranging for medical evacuation if your required treatment is not available in the region (note: costs for this service will not be covered by the government, but may be covered by travel insurance)

    If you need help when travelling in Australia, contact:

    Australia - CANBERRA
    High Commission of Canada
    Address: Commonwealth Avenue, Canberra ACT, Australia 2600
    Tel.: 61 (2) 6270-4000
    Fax: 61 (2) 6270-4060

    Australia - PERTH
    Consulate of Canada
    Address: 267 St. George's Terrace, Third Floor, Perth, WA 6000, Australia
    Tel.: 61 (8) 9322-7930
    Fax: 61 (8) 9261-7706

    Australia - SYDNEY
    Consulate General of Canada
    Address: Level 5, Quay West Building, 111 Harrington Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
    Tel.: 61 (2) 9364-3000
    Fax: 61 (2) 9364-3098

    While in Australia, you will be able to phone to Canada through a Canadian operator by dialing a Canada-direct number: 1-800-551-177 or 1-800-881-150. Public phones may require coins or a phone card.

    Make sure that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay.
    Many countries require that your passport be valid at least six months after the due date of your return.

    Bon voyage!