Your Store

Advanced Search


    Travelling is an exciting way to meet people and learn about different cultures. But you have to be careful. Travelling can expose you to disease and poor sanitary conditions. In this document, you will find practical information for safe and healthy travel. In a foreign country, just like at home, a little prevention goes a long way.
    • In short

      • Region
      • Capital
      • Population
      • Currency
        Yuan (CNY)
      • Languages
        Mandarin, Cantonese and many more
    • Flag

      Flag of China
    Alternate Text

    Recommended Immunization

    In this section, you will find the list of the immunizations and screenings recommended for Canadians travelling to the above destination (China). Some of them may also be mandatory.

    Diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles
    These vaccines are part of every Canadian's standard immunization regimen. Make sure that you are vaccinated and have received the booster shots when required.
    Cholera is present in certain regions of the country. Consider protection only if anticipating close contact with local residents in unhygienic conditions. Vaccination is recommended for health professionals and aid workers assigned to endemic areas. Also recommended for travellers in whom gastric defenses are weakened.
    Japanese encephalitis
    Vaccination is recommended for travellers staying more than a month in the north between May and September or in the south between April and October. To consider whether any visits outside urban areas are planned or if an outbreak is underway in the region, even if the stay is less than a month.
    Yellow fever
    A certificate is mandatory for travellers 9 months and older having travelled through an area with risk of transmission or who have been in transit in the airport of a country with risk of transmission.
    Hepatitis A
    Vaccination is recommended for all travellers.
    Hepatitis B
    High prevalence of carriers. Vaccination is recommended travellers staying in the country a few months or more, healthcare professionals or people receiving health care, those in close contact with local residents, parents adopting a child and those engaging in sexual relations with the country's inhabitants.
    Malaria is present in certain regions of the country. Atovaquone combined with proguanil (Malarone) or doxycycline are the drugs of choice in south-western Yunnanon along the border of Myanmar. Mefloquine (Lariam), atovaquone combined with proguanil (Malarone) or doxycycline (Vibramycin) is recommended for Yunnan along the border of Laos and Vietnam as well as Hainan Island. Mefloquine (Lariam), atovaquone combined with proguanil (Malarone), doxycycline (Vibramycin), chloroquine (Aralen) and primaquine is recommended for the follonwing provinces: Anhui, Guizou, Henan and Hubei.
    A screening test is required for work and study visa applications of more than 6 months.
    Typhoid fever
    Vaccination is recommended for all travellers.

    During your stay

    Once there, you should still be cautious as you could be exposed to other diseases. The presence of diseases that could pose a risk to your health has been reported in the country. The risk is related to the activities you choose to take part in as well as the areas you visit.

    Dengue fever
    Anti-mosquito precautions are essential everywhere in the country.
    Tick-borne encephalitis
    Vaccination is recommended for travellers planning to visit or work in forested areas and farms, for hikers, campers and expatriates. The unpasteurized dairy products can also transmit the disease. Vaccination is not recommended for a short stay in urban areas.
    Lyme disease
    travellers who visit infected rural areas, particularly campers and backcountry enthusiasts are more at risk. These travellers should properly protect themselves from insect bites.
    Plague is a disease that could be transmitted by insects of this region. Effective protection against insects would help prevent this problem.
    Vaccination is recommended only for certain groups of travellers such as veterinarians, animal attendants, spelunkers or other at-risk groups. Vaccination is also recommended for travellers visiting regions where the virus is endemic and where it could be difficult to quickly get a post-exposure treatment and among travellers who will spend lots of time outdoors in rural areas. Vaccination is also recommended to children who will travel frequently or for long stays in a regions with risk, and which are too young to understand the precautions or to mention a bite.
    Schistosomiasis is present in certain areas of the country. Avoiding all contact with fresh water is recommended (swimming, fishing, drinking untreated water).

    The above vaccinations apply to all travellers. For a personalized protection program adapted to your travelling and health needs, visit a travel medicine clinic. Plan ahead: If you need several vaccines, you may need several weeks to complete the immunization schedule.

    Prior to your departure, you may want to consider registering for the Canadians Abroad Service. Registering allows the service to contact and assist you if there is an emergency while you are abroad. Visit the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website for more information about this service and how to register.

    If you have purchased travel insurance, your policy will likely include a 24/7 emergency assistance service to help you locate care and coordinate payment. Be sure to have their phone number with you at all times.

    The Canadian Government also has several offices abroad that can provide you with numerous services when in a medical emergency. These services include, but are not limited to:

    • Supplying names of local doctors and health facilities
    • Visiting you in the hospital and providing basic translation services
    • Arranging for medical evacuation if your required treatment is not available in the region (note: costs for this service will not be covered by the government, but may be covered by travel insurance)

    If you need help when travelling in China, contact:

    China - BEIJING
    Embassy of Canada
    Address: Consular Section, 19 Dongzhimenwai Dajie, Chao Yang District, Beijing 100600, China
    Tel.: 86 (10) 5139-4000
    Fax: 86 (10) 5139-4448

    China - CHONGQING
    Consulate of Canada
    Address: Room 1705, Metropolitan Tower, Wu Yi Lu, Yu Zhong District, Chongqing 400010, China
    Tel.: 86 (23) 6373-8007
    Fax: 86 (23) 6373-8026

    China - GUANGZHOU
    Consulate General of Canada
    Address: China Hotel Office Tower, Suite 801, Liu Hua Lu, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510015, China
    Tel.: 86 (20) 8611-6100
    Fax: 86 (20) 8611-6196

    China - Hong Kong
    Consulate General of Canada
    Address: 13th Floor, One Exchange Square, 8 Connaught Place, Central Hong Kong SAR, China
    Postal Address: P.O. Box 11142, Hong Kong, China
    Tel.: 85 (2) 3719 4700
    Fax: 85 (2) 2847 7561

    China - SHANGHAI
    Consulate General of Canada
    Address: Shanghai Centre, West Tower Suite 604, 1376 Nanjing Xi Lu, Shanghai, 200040, China
    Tel.: 86 (21) 3279-2800
    Emergency toll-free to Ottawa: 10800-1400125 (available only from Shanghai)
    Fax: 86 (21) 3279-2801

    While in China, you will be able to phone to Canada through a Canadian operator by dialing a Canada-direct number: 108-186 (from all major cities).

    Make sure that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay.
    Many countries require that your passport be valid at least six months after the due date of your return.

    Bon voyage!