Bon Voyage!


Before you leave, make sure to get all the necessary travel insurance. There are several types of insurances to consider:
Trip Cancellation Insurance:
Covers the expenses you have incurred paying for your trip should you have to cancel at the last minute because of a serious incident.

Baggage Insurance:
Protects your personal belongings against loss or theft.

Travel Health Insurance:
Covers the costs incurred due to illness or accident while travelling, such as:

  • Medical and hospital costs;
  • Cost of prolonged stay due to delayed return;
  • Cost of an early return for treatment;
  • Travel expenses for a relative who has to join you.

Travel health insurance is essential for travelling outside of Canada, including to the United States, and even if only for a few days. Some credit card companies offer this type of coverage free of charge if you use your credit card to pay for your trip. Check with your credit card company before buying additional coverage. Before you leave, carefully read your policy so that you know who to contact in case of emergency.


When you travel to a foreign country, you are subject to the local civil and criminal laws. Illicit drug use is forbidden in all countries, even in those countries where you see people using them in public. People in possession of drugs or dealing drugs may be fined, jailed or even executed. When you attempt to cross the border to the United States, the customs officers can impound your car if you are caught with even a small quantity of an illicit drug or transporting someone who has been refused access to the States.

In some countries, your provincial driver's licence may not be valid. You may be required to have an international driver's licence. In the United-States, however, your provincial driver's licence is valid.

Your Passport
Your Canadian passport is a universally recognized proof of citizenship and you may be called on to show it at any time when travelling. Your passport has an expiry date: make sure that it is valid at least three months beyond your expected date of return. Some countries you visit may require an even longer period of validation. Before leaving, check with a Passport Canada office in order to obtain the latest information for canadians travelling abroad.

Never leave your passport unattended!

Vaccination Certificate
Immunization against certain diseases may be required for entry into some countries. Always bring your certificate of vaccination with you when travelling and keep it with your passport; authorities may ask to see it before you are granted entry.

Some medications sold over-the-counter in Canada may require a prescription elsewhere and may cause problems if you are discovered with them in your possession at the border. Ask your pharmacist to label every medication before you leave. Keep all medications and medical products in their original container and keep a list of all your medications including their generic names and dosages.

For a short trip, take along a sufficient supply of all your medications to cover your needs-and not more. For longer trips, take a copy of all your prescriptions in case you need to buy some of them locally. Also take along a prescription for your glasses/contact lenses.

Divide your medications and store some in your handbag and some in your regular luggage so that you have an alternate supply if a piece of luggage is lost or stolen.

Pre-travel Medical Consultation

Before entering a country, you must have received all mandatory immunizations. Additional vaccines as well as booster shots of routine immunizations may also be recommended. Since international health data change frequently, you should always check with a travel clinic for updated information on the required immunizations. Contact your local CLSC for the travel clinic closest to you. Allow 6 to 8 weeks before travel to carry out your personal immunization program.

Keep your vaccination certificate up-to-date. And always bring it with you when travelling since authorities may ask to see it before letting you enter a country.

Long-term Stay and Special Medical Conditions

If you plan a long trip, consult your physician, dentist and ophthalmologist before you leave.

If you suffer from a chronic disease or a special medical condition, bring a summary of your medical and pharmaceutical records, even if you are protected by a travel health insurance.

Always wear a Medic-Alert™ bracelet if:

  • you are allergic to a drug;
  • you take anticoagulants (Coumadin™, Sintrom™) or cortisone;
  • you suffer from cardiac arrhythmias or hypertension;
  • you have diabetes
  • you have a major medical problem.

For more informations :

Essential information for a safe trip

The drugs and pharmaceutical services featured on the website are offered by pharmacists who own the affiliated pharmacies at Familiprix. The information contained on the site is for informational purposes only and does not in any way replace the advice and advice of your pharmacist or any other health professional. Always consult a health professional before taking or discontinuing medication or making any other decision. Familiprix inc. and the proprietary pharmacists affiliated with Familiprix do not engage in any way by making this information available on this website.