|Synonyms|| The most common synonyms, based on the type of product, are: |
|Classification|| Central nervous system depressant, solvent: |
|Mechanism of action|
|Routes of administration|
Effects sought out by the user
- Facilitates certain sexual practices
- Heightened sexual pleasure / intense orgasm
- Muscle relaxation
- Eases social bonding
Common toxic effects
- Decreased perception of time
- Eye irritation
- Feeling of intense internal heat
- Feeling of panic
- Sensitivity to light
- Skin redness
- Specific after taste
- Stomach cramps
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Vertigo (immediately after inhalation)
- Altered perceptions
- Convulsions (rare)
- Methemoglobinemia (can be fatal): occurs most often if ingested, rare when inhaled
- Motor disorders
- Paresthesia (tingling, numbness)
- Respiratory depression
- Syncope (loss of consciousness)
- Violent vertigo
Effects associated with chronic use
- Inflammation of mucus membrane of the nose (poppers dermatitis): resolves within 10 days of stopping
- Kaposi's sarcoma (butyl nitrite) in those with HIV
- Perceptual distortions
- Perioral rash
- Rhinorrhea (runny nose)
- Skin rash/yellowish crusts
- Sweet breath
Tolerance (need to increase the dose to feel the same effect)
Not well documented.
Psychological dependence when used regularly. No physical dependence has been observed.
Has not been observed.
|Routes of administration||Onset ofaction||Duration ofaction|
|Inhalation||Very fast||2 to 3 minutes|
- An antidote is available: methylene blue. Administer in the presence of methemoglobinemia.
- Symptomatic treatment.
Many different street drugs are sold under the same name. Furthermore, nothing guarantees the quantity, purity or even the content of a street drug in spite of the fact that it may, in some cases, look like medication.
If you need help or want to learn more:
The drugs and pharmaceutical services featured on the familiprix.com website are offered by pharmacists who own the affiliated pharmacies at Familiprix. The information contained on the familiprix.com site is for informational purposes only and does not in any way replace the advice and advice of your pharmacist or any other health professional. Always consult a health professional before taking or discontinuing medication or making any other decision. Familiprix inc. and the proprietary pharmacists affiliated with Familiprix do not engage in any way by making this information available on this website.