Major therapeutic interest
- Treating mild liver failure: stimulates production and secretion of bile;
- Relieving digestive sluggishness caused by dyspepsia: bloating and stomach/intestinal pain, belching, flatulence, nausea, sensation of being overfull.
Other therapeutic interest / Traditional Use
- Treating constipation related to liver conditions;
- Treating dryness of the mouth;
- Acting as a diuretic.
- Gallstones, obstructions of the bile ducts, or severe liver disease;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Kidney disease.
- For therapeutic use, only products free of ascaridole (a particularly hepatotoxic component of essential oil) should be used. Reputable products will note the absence of this molecule from their formula.
- May increase the effect of anticoagulants and antithrombotic agents (Coumadin, Lovenox, heparin, etc.), antiplatelet drugs (Plavix, Ticlid), as well as salicylic acid derivatives (acetylsalicylic acid or ASA, aspirin, Entrophen, etc.), and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (Voltaren, Ibuprofen [Advil, Motrin], Naprosyn, etc.);
- May increase the effects of various types of high blood pressure medications;
- May potentiate the toxic effects of particularly hepatotoxic medications (Actos, Avandia, Prandase, Cordarone, Lipitor, Lescol, Mevacor, Pravachol, Zocor, Imuran, Norvir, Viramune, Tegretol, Tylenol, Voltaren, Lamisil, Sporanox, Nizoral, Tamofen, etc.)
- Alkaloids (boldine, boldoglucin, aprophine, etc.), essential oil, flavonoids (boldoside, fragoside, etc.)
The information contained on the familiprix.com site is for informational purposes only and does not in any way replace the advice and advice of your pharmacist or any other health professional. Always consult a health professional before taking or discontinuing medication or making any other decision. Familiprix inc. and proprietary pharmacists affiliated with Familiprix do not engage in any way by making this information available on this website.