Major therapeutic interest
- Treating occasional insomnia due to mental, nervous stress and anxiety-associated restlessness;
- Improving the quality of sleep, treating sleep disorders, and treating nervous sleep disorders;
- Treating daytime sleep and behavioral disorders among children with intellectual difficulties.
Other therapeutic interest / Traditional Use
- Treating anxiety;
- Calming withdrawal symptoms in smokers who are trying to quit, distorting the taste of cigarettes.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Not recommended for activities requiring alertness (driving, working with dangerous machinery, working from heights, etc.)
- May increase the sedative effects of medications that affect the central nervous system (Ativan, Lectopam, Oxazepam, Valium, Xanax [Alprazolam], barbiturates, etc.);
- May alter how numerous categories of medications are metabolized the metabolism of drugs in many different categories: certain antihypertensive and antiarrythmic medications (Cardizem [Diltiazem], Cozaar, Isoptin [Verapamil]),; antilipemic agents (Mevacor, Zocor),; antihistamines (Allegra),; antifungal agents (Sporanox, Nizoral),; hypnotics (Diazepam, Halcion),; antibiotics (Erythromycin, Biaxin); immunosuppressors (Sandimmune, Neoral),; antiviral medications (Norvir, Fortovase, Invirase), and many others.
Root and rhizome
- Essential oil, iridoids, alkaloids, amino acids.
Valeriana officinalis, Cat’s valerian