Major therapeutic interest
Other therapeutic interest / Traditional Use
- Treating spasms and colic;
- Relieving diverticulitis;
- Relieving menstrual pain (dysmenorrhea);
- Reducing arthritic and rheumatic pain;
- Easing menopause-related discomfort: topical use of ointment (vaginal dryness, hot flashes).
- Breast or ovarian cancer, or if close relatives have been diagnosed with hormone-dependent cancers;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Obstruction or inflammation of gall ducts;
- Liver disease: hepatitis, cirrhosis, cancer;
- Protein S deficiency: risk of thromboembolic complications.
Roots, tubercles (dried)
- Steroidal saponins (dioscine, diosgenine), phytosterols (beta-sitosterol).
Dioscorea villosa, Colic root