Travel health

Europe Germany

Euro (EUR)

During your stay

Once there, you should still be cautious as you could be exposed to other diseases. The presence of diseases that could pose a risk to your health has been reported in the country. The risk is related to the activities you choose to take part in as well as the areas you visit.

Tick-borne encephalitis
Tick-borne encephalitis is present in certain areas, mainly from April to November. It is found in forested areas and farms. The disease can also be acquired by ingesting unpasteurized dairy products. Vaccination is recommended for certain travellers.
Lyme disease
Travellers who visit rural areas in endemic regions, particularly campers and backcountry enthusiasts, are at greater risk. These travellers should take protective measures to avoid insect bites.
Vaccination is recommended for certain groups of travellers only. This includes people who will work in close contact with animals such as veterinarians, wildlife workers, spelunkers and adventure travellers.

Healthy Travelling

Prior to your departure, you may want to register for the "Registration of Canadians Abroad" service. This is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest. For more information, visist the Government of Canada Web site at

If you have purchased travel insurance, your policy will likely include a 24/7 emergency assistance service to help you locate care and coordinate payment. Be sure to have their phone number with you at all times.

The Canadian Government also has several offices abroad that can provide you with numerous services when in a medical emergency. These services include, but are not limited to:

  • Supplying names of local doctors and health facilities
  • Visiting you in the hospital and providing basic translation services
  • Arranging for medical evacuation if your required treatment is not available in the region (note: costs for this service will not be covered by the government, but may be covered by travel insurance)

If you need help when travelling in Germany, contact:

Germany - BERLIN
Embassy of Canada
Address: Leipziger Platz 17, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Tel.: 49 (30) 20312 470; 49 (30) 20312 0
Fax: 49 (30) 20 31 24 57

Consulate of Canada
Address: Benrather Strasse 8, 40213 Düsseldorf, Germany
Tel.: 49 (211) 17 21 70
Fax: 49 (211) 35 91 65

Germany - MUNICH
Consulate of Canada
Address: Tal 29, 80331 Munich, Germany
Tel.: 49 (89) 21 99 57 0
Fax: 49 (89) 21 99 57 57

Consulate of Canada
Address: Lange Strasse 51, 70174 Stuttgart, Germany
Tel.: 49 (711) 22 39 67 8
Fax: 49 (711) 22 39 67 9

While in Germany, you will be able to phone to Canada through a Canadian operator by dialing a Canada-direct number: 0-800-888-0014

Make sure that your passport is valid for the whole length of your trip.
Many countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months after your projected return date.

Bon voyage!

Recommended vaccines

In this section, you will find the list of the immunizations and screenings recommended for Canadians travelling to the above destination (Germany). Some of them may also be mandatory. The following vaccinations apply to all travellers. For a personalized protection program adapted to your travelling and health needs, visit a travel medicine clinic. Plan ahead: If you need several vaccines, you may need several weeks to complete the immunization schedule.

General vaccination and immunization
Vaccines such as diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis and measles are part of every Canadian's routine immunization schedule. Make sure that you have been vaccinated and that you have received the required booster shots. Specific recommendations can apply to poliomyelitis, refer to specialized agencies.
Hepatitis A
Vaccination is recommended for most travellers.
Hepatitis B
Low prevalence of carriers. Vaccination is recommended for most travellers.
An HIV test or a medical certificate may be required depending on the length or type of stay. In addition, entry restrictions may apply to those who are HIV-positive.