People with diabetes must constantly live on high alert. This condition has repercussions on lifestyle, professional activities and relationships with those around you, as it requires constant monitoring, both day and night.
The hypervigilance caused by this disease certainly causes a lot of stress and can become exhausting over time. The good news is that Dexcom has created a technology that makes life easier for many people dealing with diabetes.
What is the Dexcom G6 CGM system?
The Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitoring system consists of a small, wearable sensor and transmitter sends your glucose numbers to a compatible smart device† or receiver up to every 5 minutes. It shows you your glucose number and where it’s headed, helping you make more informed decisions about your diabetes management.
Smart device sold separately.
How does the Dexcom G6 CGM system work?
This unique system consists of:
The slim wearable sensor, roughly the size of your thumb, features a tiny wire attached to its underside. A one-touch applicator helps to insert this wire just beneath the skin. The sensor then continuously measures your glucose levels, up to every 5 minutes. Each sensor is water-resistant‡ and can stay on your body for up to 10 days, so you can go about your day with fewer interruptions.
The sensor requires a transmitter, to deliver the real-time readings wirelessly to your compatible smart device†. The transmitter easily attaches to the sensor with a quick snap, and has a lifespan of three months.
The display system
The Dexcom G6 App is compatible with most Apple and Android smart devices and continuously updates with new glucose data received from the sensor without you ever needing to manually scan. The system calculates your glucose reading and displays it through easy-to-read numbers and colour-coded arrows that show how quickly your glucose is rising or falling§.
How does the Dexcom G6 measure glucose levels?
The Dexcom G6 measures glucose in the interstitial fluid. This is the fluid that surrounds and nourishes the body's cells, providing them with essential nutrients, such as glucose. After glucose is absorbed into your bloodstream, it moves quickly into the interstitial fluid. Since the exchanges are done regularly, the measurement is just as valid at the level of the interstitial fluid as of the blood.
What are the benefits of the Dexcom G6 CGM system on diabetes control?
The Dexcom G6 has several advantages over other devices:
- Glucose levels and related information are transmitted to your smartphone every 5 minutes, even while you are sleeping. Simplified visuals allow you to easily read the results
- Eliminates the need for routine fingersticks* or having to remember to scan a sensor to make decisions on your diabetes treatment
- You can customize your own high and low alerts at levels you choose to help you prevent hypo- or hyperglycemia. Real-time alerts prompt you to take action if levels are too low or too high - day and night.
- The Urgent Low Soon alert can warn you up to 20 minutes up to 20 minutes in advance of severe hypoglycemia (glucose levels at or below 3.1 mmol/L), so you can take steps to prevent it.
- Dexcom offers an optional touchscreen receiver if you don't have a smart device.
- The Dexcom G6 is the only system in Canada that can be used for children as young as 2 years old.
- With the Dexcom G6, you can know where your glucose is and where it's headed, helping to empower you to make more informed decisions about your diabetes management.
- You can share your Dexcom G6 glucose data to your circle of support with the Dexcom Share feature for added protection and peace of mind.
The Dexcom G6 is designed to make glucose monitoring easier. Through simplicity and convenience, Dexcom G6 can help relieve you from the demands of the condition and put you in the driver’s seat of your diabetes care.
Learn more about the Dexcom G6 at dexcom.com
For more information, we invite you to consult our free guide All about diabetes
Download the PSST!
* If your glucose alerts and readings from the Dexcom G6 do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions.
† Smart devices sold separately, for a list of compatible devices visit dexcom.com/compatibility.
‡ The Dexcom G6 Sensor and Transmitter are water-resistant and may be submerged under eight feet of water for up to 24 hours without failure when properly installed.
§ Using Your G6 Guide
Conditions apply. Visit dexcom.com for more information. Dexcom and Dexcom G6 are registered trademarks of Dexcom, Inc. in the U.S. and may be in other countries.
© 2022 Dexcom Canada, Co. All rights reserved. LBL-1000646 Rev001