No doubt about it – the Holidays are here! Although our routine is disrupted by all the festivities, this is no excuse for taking a holiday from physical activity.
Don’t worry if you can’t make it to your usual gym. You can simply incorporate exercise into your daily activities, even during the Holidays.
Here are some tips. Don’t forget that a few 10-minute exercise sessions can have the same effect as a single session lasting at least 30 minutes. The objective is to get your heart rate up and to breathe faster.
- If you need to wait for the train, bus or plane, take a quick walk around the station while you wait.
- If you need to drive over long distances, take advantage of your pit stops to stretch your legs and walk for a few minutes. You can even throw a Frisbee around, space and weather permitting.
- When visiting relatives, take the opportunity to explore the area by foot.
- Skating can be a lot of fun! There are skating rinks all over Quebec, so get out there and try them out!
- If you like swimming, look into the Holiday schedule at your regular pool or one near your relatives’ home.
- When shopping at the mall, park far from the entrance and walk to the stores. This might even save you the time you would have spent trying to find the perfect parking space! Once indoors, use the stairs rather than the elevators or escalators.
- If you take the bus, get off one or two stops early and walk the rest of the way.
- When doing some housecleaning, you can work your muscles and intensify your breathing by putting energy into your vacuuming and sweeping, and by going up and down the stairs. Why not put on some lively music to make the chores more pleasant?
Many Holiday activities offer exercise opportunities that can help you maintain a healthy body weight and prevent various diseases. It’s up to you to explore the possibilities!