The Health Challenge has 3 components, including eating better. A healthy diet may seem complicated, but by following a few tips, it becomes easier!
- Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables you eat.
- Cook more and avoid processed foods.
- Plan your meals according to your schedule.
- Increase your fibre and protein intake.
- Eat slowly, and take breaks while eating.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Avoid trans fats; choose unsaturated fats (like omega-3).
- Stop eating when you feel full.
- Do not neglect snacks.
Eating well is a way of life. This is why very restrictive diets are often ineffective: they are difficult to respect and the cravings to “cheat” often become very strong. It’s better to adopt a healthy and varied diet rather than a strict diet.
Participating in a challenge such as the Health Challenge is a good starting point to begin moving more. However, it is not always easy to maintain motivation in the long run. Often, we start strongly, and then our motivation tends to run out of steam. Here are some tips to help you persevere with your fitness project:
- Start gradually.
- Set realistic goals.
- Avoid comparing your performance to others.
- Find an activity that you like.
- Schedule your sessions in your calendar.
- Keep some days blank for rest and do not hesitate to take a few days’ break during the year.
Sport is extremely beneficial for your health, but sometimes injuries happen. When an injury occurs, do not hesitate to consult a health professional, as they can advise you what to do for relief. Whether it is better to apply ice or heat, or what painkiller is best for you, your pharmacist can help you.
Benefits of physical activity
Physical activity has many benefits. It can help you maintain a healthy weight, better manage stress, and even reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Leading an active physical lifestyle doesn’t mean that you need to become an Olympic athlete, but just that you move daily.
For practical tips about physical activity, the PSST! Athletes is a great reference.
Maintaining a balance
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the foundation of good mental health. Stress management is an important part of maintaining good health, and it is essential to relax and take time for yourself. You need to find time to unplug from the hassles of everyday life. Physical activity is a good way to do so, but it's not the only way.
The meaning of "taking a break" may differ from person to person. Some people choose to practice breathing techniques, others opt for yoga - there is no better way to relax. The important thing is to give yourself time.
It is important to listen to your body, but also to your brain. If you feel overwhelmed by events and overwhelmed by stress, do not hesitate to consult a health professional.